Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fun with telephones
In lieu of a grown-up post about memes, that is forthcoming, dead honest guv

Well, all the clever and sophisticated kids are rolling their eyes about just how provincial and boring it all is, but I'm afraid I'm one of those squares who thinks the crime of making obscene phone calls is.... a crime.

I also note that assuming that someone is a member of a burlesque group called the "Satanic Sluts" constitutes licence to broadcast their sexual history on the TV, is functionally equivalent to the saloon bar slogan "phoar, with those short skirts and make-up, they're just asking for it, aren't they?". 

I also note that to comment on the Brand/Ross affair on the BBC website, I must adhere to a comments policy that includes:

Keep your contributions civil, tasteful and relevant. Please:

  • No defamatory comments. A defamatory comment is one that is capable of damaging the reputation of a person or organisation. If successfully sued you could be held liable for considerable damages and costs.
  • Do not post messages that are unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, homophobic or racially offensive.
  • No swearing. People of all ages read and contribute to Have Your Say. Please don't use profanities or other words which might offend them.
  • No inappropriate usernames (vulgar, offensive, etc).

It seems reasonable to expect those on the BBC to adhere to the same standard.

1 comment:

pj said...

Oh dear, you old reactionary you.

Not that I've been paying much attention to this story (although it is difficult to avoid) I've been struck that the focus has been rather more on the decision to broadcast rather than the decision to leave abusive messages on some old guy's phone, as if that was ok as long as they didn't broadcast what they'd done.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with swearing or being genereally insulting in a suitably signposted show, but I do dislike the way that shows seem to depend more and more on cheap laughs at the expense of someone else, often some unwitting member of the public (gaagh - phone jacker!) - but then I guess I'm not down with the kids, because I'd rather tear off my own toenails than listen to Chris Moyles.